I recently traveled to a small island in Spain known as Formentera with my friend, Darcey, and had an amazing time there! Formentera is a 30-minute boat ride away from her famous sister island, Ibiza. And now when I say small, I mean tiny. She is only 32.14 square miles, but filled with visual and physical treasures. She has gorgeous turquoise beaches, boho-chic fashion, and is ready to entertain anyone who comes to visit. Formentera is the perfect destination for a family during summer vacation, or for a newlywed’s honeymoon. Below are some of the highlights of our trip. Enjoy!
Top 5 Places to Shop
Formentera is full of boho-chic fashion and ready to fulfill any hippie-loving chick. Here are my favorite shops:
• Vintage - cute and affordable jewelry and clothing
• Full Moon - beautiful bathing suits and clothing
• Ishvara - high-quality bohemian kimonos and traditional Spanish shoes
• Terra - locally made beach towels and wraps
• Parfumerie Centrale - organic perfume and skin care
Top 5 Places to Eat
Formentera doesn’t just serve the typical Spanish paella. She actually has many wonderful dining choices, ranging from pizza to seafood!
• Macondo Pizzeria - fantastic pizza for lunch or dinner
• Panaderia Manolo - great for quick to-go bites or for some Spanish empanadas for lunch
• Fonda Plate- fun place to go before dinner for a quick drink (beverages for adults and kids)
• Chez Gerdi - a beautiful and all outdoor destination for a fancy dinner or a light apéritif
• Restaurante Es Cap - a locals’ destination with - yep! - tradition paella
Top 5 Beaches to Visit
Most people go to Formentera for her pristine beaches. You can find photos of many of them online. And, I promise you that they were not photoshopped! Formentera’s beaches are truly magical! When you take one step onto its warm, powdery sand, surrounded by beautiful scenery of cliffs, nature, and turquoise waters, you will fall in love instantly.
Some of the best beaches in Formentera include:
Playa les Illetes
Playa de Migjorn
Top 5 Places to See
• Pebble Towers - at the very north of Formentera, there is a valley of homemade pebble towers. With the beautiful view of the ocean and the warm sand on your feet, it's a magical experience.
• Windmill - this is a perfect pitstop when your driving to the beach. At certain times during the day you are also aloud to climb up to the top where you can local farms.
• Flower Power Festival - this summer monthly celebration is a must. Local bands and DJ’s play to create the most fun night. I suggest buying a flower crown before going.
• Church - whenever you are at San Francec, make sure to pass by the traditional and sleek white church in the center of the town.
• Lighthouse - this is another great idea for a pitstop. It sits upon a cliffside with a gorgeous view of the ocean. You can also find the cutest hippie market here every Wednesdays and Sundays.